Neighbors we’ve received a few reports that packages have been stolen off homeowners porches recently. Please keep an eye out and REPORT all incidents — or suspicious people to the police (317-327-3811)!
The proposed Digital Billboard Ordinance (Prop 250-2014) was postponed to another meeting, most likely in January. Stay tuned for more information as we follow this ordinance — and if you haven’t already, please share your opinion with our City County Councillor, Monroe Gray (317-327-4242) or !
What is 911?
- 911 is the number to dial for the fastest possible emergency response when you need emergency POLICE, FIRE, or MEDICAL ASSISTANCE in a life or death situation.
- Your call is answered by a county operator to determine if you need POLICE, FIRE, or MEDICAL assistance.
When to dial 911?
- 911 is the number to dial to report Criminal Activity in Progress, Fire, Medical Emergencies, Shots Fired, Any Life Threatening Incident and Suspicious Activity.
- Stay calm. Give your name, location and nature of the emergency.
- Answer the 911 Dispatcher’s questions as accurately as possible.
- Never hang up on the 911 Dispatcher until you are told to do so.
- Do not dial 911 for non-emergency situations.
- For non-emergency situations, such as noisy neighbors or a stolen bicycle use the Non-Emergency number: 327-3811
How 911 Works?
Example: What to do if you are looking out of your window and notice a person breaking into your neighbor’s home….
- You should immediately go to the phone and dial 911.
- Even while you are talking, an officer is already on the way. Try to remain calm and answer all of the dispatcher’s questions to the best of your ability – we understand you may be excited.
- DO NOT HANG UP! For the safety of the officer who is on the way and all people involved, it is very important that the dispatcher on the phone gets all the necessary information about the emergency and the suspects.
Information most needed:
- What happened?
- When did it happen?
- Where it happened (address/intersection/landmark)
- Telephone number of the person calling
- Who is involved?
- Is anyone injured?
- Suspect description
- Vehicle description/License Plate Number
- Direction of travel of suspect
- Did you see any weapons?
Never tell a 911 operator that a situation is more serious than it really is just to get faster service. It is against the law to intentionally give false information to the police.
911 Emergency Examples:
- Robbery, burglary or larceny in progress (i.e.: Someone breaking into your home or vehicle or one of your neighbors’ homes or vehicles now)
- Fires or Medical emergency
- Traffic injury – crashes
- Person asking for help
- Domestic Violence / Abuse
- Fights or displays of weapons
- Criminal activity
- Any suspicious activity happening at the time of your call.
A non-emergency call is simply a request for police service that is not a life or death situation, and it is not “in progress”. An officer can handle some of these calls over the phone such as:
- Vandalism (not in progress)
- Stolen property (not in progress)
- Criminal or Suspicious Activity (not in progress)
- Loud Party
Our November Butler Tarkington Neighborhood Association Board Meeting will be held TONIGHT starting at 6:30pm at the MLK Community Center (40th & Illinois). Best, BTNA Board
ps. Indianapolis leaf collection also starts today! If you have any questions feel free to visit http://www.indy.gov/egov/city/dpw/trash/pages/leafcollection.aspx.
Our next BTNA meeting will be held on Monday, August 11th @ 6:30pm at the MLK Community Center (40th & Illinois). We hope to see you there!
Butler-Tarkington’s all neighborhood garage sale will be held Saturday (August 23rd) at 9:00am.
There is no cost to participate simply set your sale items up in your yard and enjoy the day! Some confirmed locations are listed below.
- 5320 N. Kenwood Avenue
- 4009 N. Kenwood Avenue
- 5042 N. Capitol Avenue
- 4359 N. Illinois Street
- 141 W. 43rd Street.
- 5368 N Illinois Street
- 4910 N Illinois Street
- 233 Buckingham Drive
- 4035 Rookwood Ave
- 4925 North Capitol
- 334 Berkley Rd
- 260 Berkley Rd -
- 5320 N. Capitol
- 5473 N. Capitol
- 29 W. 49th Street
- 4629 Cornelius Ave
- 4913 Graceland Ave
- 5435 N. Capitol Ave
- 233 Berkley Road
- 223 West 44th Street
- 5025 N. Capitol
- 233 Berkley
- 20 W 42nd St
- 5135 N. Kenwood Ave
- 116 W Hampton Dr
- 4706 N. Illinois St