As a quick reminder below are a few policies that often effect our neighborhood. If you have further questions we invite you to contact the Department of Code Enforcement.

1200 Madison Ave., Ste. 100
Indianapolis, IN 46225
Phone: (317) 327-8700

Open Burning
What CAN Marion County residents burn?

Marion County residents are allowed to burn only dried twigs or limbs and branches that originate from their property for disposal purposes, if they follow these requirements:
    • Maintain a means to extinguish the fire at all times while burning
    • Use a non-combustible container with a ventilated mesh covering containing openings no greater than ¼-inch
    • Burn only between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
    • Place the container at least 15-feet from any structure, trees, or other object that may catch fire
    • Attend the fire at all times
    • Prevent creating a nuisance
Open burning types allowed include:
What can Marion County residents NOT burn?
Materials ILLEGAL to burn at anytime, anywhere in Marion County, include the following:
    • Leaves
    • Grass clippings
    • Stumps
    • Household garbage/trash
    • Waste lumber
    • Furniture/mattresses
    • Land-clearing debris
    • Dead animals
    • Tires
    • Asbestos material
    • Wire
    • Hazardous materials
 Illegal burning may result in fines up to $2,500.

The Department of Code Enforcement (DCE) enforces the Environmental Public Nuisance Ordinance (Chapter 575 of Revised Code) for the control of high weeds and grass (HWG) on private property in the City of Indianapolis. Vegetation over 12 inches in height is considered a violation of the ordinance.

You can report HWG to the Mayor’s Action Center by calling 327- 4MAC (4622) or by going to RequestIndy.mht.  A DCE will follow up and inspect the property. 

If the inspector determines that a HWG violation exists, a Notice of Violation will be issued.

Rental Residences

City code regarding unrelated persons living in a single residence under definitions in Chapter 731:

Family: One (1) or more human beings related by blood, marriage, adoption, foster care or guardianship together with incidental domestic servants and temporary, non-compensating guests; or, not more than four (4) human beings not so related, occupying a dwelling unit and living as a single housekeeping unit.

Upon a complaint, DCE will send an inspector to the residence to talk with occupants, as well as the owner (if he/she doesn’t live there) to help resolve the issue.